Skip to main content

Health Requirements for Students


Starting school is a big step in a child’s life.  To ensure a good start, it is important that each child has a physical examination, a dental check-up and is current with their immunizations.


Health Screenings

Vision, hearing, scoliosis, dental and growth screenings are provided to all Rialto Unified School District students as required by state law (grade level specific).  All screenings are conducted by one of our RUSD Licensed Registered Nurses.


Kindergarten Physical Exam

California’s Child Health and Disability Prevention (CHDP) law requires every child to have a physical examination before entering school in kindergarten.  Parents/guardians are required to present a report of examination or a waiver statement to the school within 18 months prior to entry into first grade or within 90 days of entry into first grade.  Obtain the form here or from the school’s health office.


Students who have not met this requirement by the appropriate date may be excluded from school attendance.  Parents/guardians needing assistance meeting the requirements should call your school for additional information. You are encouraged to complete this exam at kindergarten entry to make sure your child is healthy and ready to learn.


K-1 Dental Exam (OHA)

California law, Education Code Section 49452.8, requires an Oral Health Assessment (dental check-up) by a licensed California dental health professional for children entering public school for the first time (at kindergarten or first grade).  The Oral Health Assessment must be completed and returned to the school by May 31 of that first school year.  Assessments that have occurred within the 12 months before your child enters school also meet this requirement.  Obtain the form here (Spanish) or from the school’s health office.


Parents/guardians may sign a waiver of this requirement, which is available at the school.  There is no penalty of exclusion if this requirement is not met.  If you cannot take your child for this required assessment, please contact the school nurse or health clerk at your child’s school health office.  You can also contact your local County Social Services office for more information on preventive care services for eligible low-income children and adults.


Additional Information


Centers for Disease Control and Prevention