March 7, 2017
Rialto, CA >> The success keeps pouring in for Carter High School, as these student athletes brought home another round of local and national championships to share with their pride of Lions! On behalf of the Rialto Unified School District Board of Education and Superintendent, Dr. Cuauhtémoc Avila, congratulations to the CHS student athletes, coaches and CHS Athletic Director, Kennard Kapono for continuing the rich tradition of CHS athletic success! Here are a few recent highlights:
- Carter’s JV/FR Cheer Team won the Jamz National Championship in Las Vegas, NV on February 17, 2017, and became back-to-back national champions. Congratulations to all the young lady student-athletes for this tremendous accomplishment to repeat as champions and to Coach Charlene Cannon for picking up her 3rd National Championship while at Carter. Coach Cannon is very excited for the girls and is proud of their heart and desire to achieve this very difficult accomplishment
- Congratulations to Carter Boys’ Soccer Team as they advanced to the 2nd round of CIF. They won their 1st round game vs. Los Osos at home behind the goalkeeping of Dylan Ramirez and the lone goal scored by Brian Chacon. In the 2nd round game they played and lost to a tough Colony HS team, 2-1. Coach Navarro was disappointed as any coach would after a tough loss but he is proud of the boys for all their hard work both on and off the field and the excellent sportsmanship that they demonstrated.
- Congratulations to Carters Girls’ Basketball Team as they advanced to the Quarter-Finals of CIF. With a 1st round win on the road vs. Lawndale, the ladies then had to travel to Warren High School and again came out victorious. The next round was against number one seed, Righetti High School and our girls gave them all they could handle. Although the ladies competed with all their effort, they came up just short. This is the farthest in school history that a girls basketball team has advanced in the playoffs. The team was led by Seniors, Dejanee Gill, Kalynne Brantley and Juniors, Mariah Stewart and A’Miracle Barlett. Coach Edward Campbell was very excited about his team’s great accomplishment and making school history!
- Congratulations to the Boys Wrestling Team for finishing 4th overall at the CIF, Southern Section, Eastern Division Individual Championships hosted at Carter High School. The team had eight placers and six qualifiers for CIFSS Master’s Individual Championships at Citizens Business Bank Arena, last weekend. Coach Kevin Hennessy and Aaron Loepp were very pleased with the finish of the boys who made school history with six qualifiers and had all 14 wrestlers in the Eastern Division Championships as well. The following boys were the placers for the Eastern Division Championships:
Freshman Israel Arroyo 7th place 106 Division
Sophomore Brian Palafox 5th place 113 Division
Junior Mark Avila 3rd place 126 Division
Senior Miguel Flores 4th place 138 Division
Junior Jerry Rubio 2nd place 143 Division
Senior Eric Serrano 6th place 152 Division
Junior Steven Ardon 5th place 170 Division
Sophomore Ethan Erickson 7th place Heavyweight Division
- Lastly, congratulations to Carter’s two CIF State Placers in the CIF Girls Wrestling Championships held in Visalia, CA, last weekend. Michelle Camacho and Anna Castro have, individually, wrote the record books for Carter Girls Wrestling. Michelle and Anna both won the CIF Southern Section, Eastern Division Individuals Championships, the following weekend both young ladies then won the CIFSS Master’s Individual Championships, and last weekend they both competed in the CIF State Individual Championships. Michelle Camacho in the 143lb Division finished in 4th place and Anna Castro in the 160lb Division finished in 3rd place! Coach Steven Chavez was very excited and proud of Michelle and Anna on their personal accomplishments. As a two person team, the ladies finished 17th out of 150+ schools that weekend in attendance.